An important part of being a Dalston Darling is the support and fundraising activities we take part in every year. We are committed to supporting local charities and our diverse community each year!
2017 Charity – Hackney Migrant Centre
Hackney Migrant Centre is our 2017 chosen charity. Hackney Migrant Centre opened in April 2008 and despite a large number of refugee community organisations in the area, until the establishment of Hackney Migrant Centre, there was no single service offering professional advice and support to migrants regardless of their nationality or immigration status.
Hackney Migrant Centre Aims
To provide advice and assistance to migrants on immigration, welfare or health issues
To offer a welcoming environment to migrants and help reduce social isolation
To publicise issues relating to migrants’ social and economic circumstances
Read their latest annual report here
Ongoing Charity Work
Hackney Winter Night Shelter
For the last 4 years we have supported Hackney Winter Night Shelter by dropping off fruit to the shelter every weekend for 3 months during the winter period. If this is something you would like to be involved in do get in touch with the committee.
St Joseph’s Hospice
We also support St Joseph’s Hospice with their annual Summer Knees Up by helping out on their Tea and Cake stall throughout the event, with all the money made from the stall going back to the hospice! Check back near the summer time to see how you can be involved.
Previous Charity – 2016 – Dalston Bridge
In 2016 we supported Dalston Bridge, a new organisation that campaigns for and raises funds from local businesses and Dalston people to support projects and charities making a difference to exclusion and deprivation. Through this fund we are able to expand our impact and will be supporting:
- Hackney Pirates – Working with young people to build their literacy and real-world skills in an unconventional learning environment. Young people get one-to-one support from volunteers, the chance to work on high quality publishing projects.
- Bootstrap Campus – Masterclasses and structured work placements for unemployed young people, working with local creative industry professionals.
- Circle Sports – A youth employment and training organisation that engages with young people through a cool sports shop. Unemployed 18 – 24 year olds receive a 10 week employability skills training course and practical work experience with the end goal of a permanent job placement.
- Hackney Winter Night Shelter – A warm welcome, hot meal, bed and breakfast and support to make lasting changes for some of Hackney’s rough sleepers, in different halls in Hackney each night of the week.
- Studio Upstairs – Supporting people with mental health and substance misuse difficulties through art therapy.
If you would like more information about how the Darlings have raised funds in the past or how you can get involved please contact us via our Facebook page.